Warm, comforting, and bursting with savory flavors, this simple beef stew recipe is perfect for cozy family dinners or chilly evenings.
Made with tender chunks of beef, a medley of vegetables, and a rich, flavorful broth, this hearty stew will fill your home with delicious aromas and satisfy your taste buds.
Follow this easy recipe to create a comforting meal that’s sure to become a household favorite.
- 2 pounds (900g) beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
1. Brown the Beef:
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef stew meat and brown it on all sides. This step adds depth of flavor to the stew. Once browned, transfer the meat to a plate and set it aside.
2. Sauté the Aromatics:
- In the same pot, add the chopped onion and garlic. Sauté for about 2-3 minutes until they become fragrant and translucent.
3. Add Broth and Herbs:
- Return the browned beef to the pot with the sautéed onions and garlic.
- Pour in the beef broth and water, then add the bay leaves, dried thyme, and dried rosemary.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 1 hour. This will allow the beef to become tender and infuse the broth with flavor.
4. Add Vegetables:
- After simmering for an hour, add the sliced carrots, diced potatoes, and sliced celery to the pot.
- Continue simmering for an additional 30-45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the beef is fork-tender.
5. Optional: Add Peas and Season:
- If using frozen peas, add them to the stew during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Season the stew with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the seasoning according to your preference.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Ladle the hot beef stew into bowls.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley for a burst of color and freshness, if desired.
- Serve your hearty beef stew with crusty bread or dinner rolls for a complete and satisfying meal.
This simple beef stew recipe will warm your soul and fill your belly. It’s perfect for sharing with loved ones on a chilly day or whenever you crave a comforting, homemade meal. Enjoy!