Homemade chicken pot pie is a classic comfort food that’s perfect for any occasion. This hearty dish is a delightful combination of tender chicken, colorful vegetables, and a creamy sauce, all encased in a flaky, golden-brown crust.
Whether you’re preparing it for a family dinner or a cozy gathering with friends, this chicken pot pie recipe is sure to impress. Follow these simple steps to create a delicious homemade chicken pot pie that will have everyone coming back for seconds.
For the Pie Crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling:
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 cup potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
1. Prepare the Pie Crust:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Add the cold, cubed butter to the flour mixture.
- Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together. Be careful not to overmix.
- Divide the dough in half, shape each half into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Make the Filling:
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, sauté until they become translucent.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary. Stir well.
- Add the diced chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery, and frozen peas. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Assemble the Pie:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Roll out one of the chilled pie crusts on a floured surface to fit a 9-inch pie dish.
- Place the rolled crust into the pie dish, trimming any excess dough.
- Pour the chicken and vegetable filling into the pie crust.
4. Add the Top Crust:
- Roll out the second pie crust and place it over the filling.
- Trim any excess dough and crimp the edges to seal the pie.
- Make small slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Beat the egg and brush it over the top crust for a golden finish.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet (to catch any potential drips) and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Allow the chicken pot pie to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Enjoy your homemade chicken pot pie, a comforting and satisfying dish that’s perfect for sharing with loved ones!